View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 11:56 PM

Specific to manufacturer

It's just that MB requires a bit of manufacturer-specific equipment, that's all. That PARTICULAR shop may not be able to do it, but many others probably can, though I'm not sure about the 1998 thing someone referred to previously. Just call around. I called today for my 1991, it was $140 at a MB (non dealer) repair shop. I called Good Year, one said they couldn't do it because they don't have the equipment, the next Good Year said they could do it, it was $100.

I then asked a friend of mine who works on cars in the low-rent district. He knew of a guy that is pretty good, is a general mechanic but is capable of working on MB's. I called him, the price was $50. I haven't used him yet, and maybe I'll get what I pay for, but these people in low-rent districts aren't stupid, especially if they've been in business for a while, they gain more experience as they go. It's their underlings you have to watch out for.

But I've found many times, for my other cars as well (Hondas and Toyotas), that the local GoodYear (who are very good), might charge $100 for a repair, then I go to a lower class area, and find someone who is helpful and in 2 cases, fixed it for FREE because the problem was easy, and the guy was trying to be helpful!!! Top that! I say, God Bless the lower-rent district mechanics. Their shops might look shady, but I've found them to be good people.

1991 300d, 92k