View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Running on pure optimism.

Replacing (?) the steering lock

Hello-

Was just reading up on removing the ignition tumbler. Under the DIY Links as organized by whunter (amazingly, I might add), there is a thread involving this "Ginger" lady. Someone posted that they replaced their tumbler and still had the same problem - the one I'm having now - of the key not turning at all. He recommended replacing the steering lock. What's this all about?
My problem is similar to a post I saw on benzworld. If after I take the key out of the ignition I turn the wheel, locking it, I will have a real hell of a time - including blisters on my finger & thumb and a sore arm - getting it to finally turn again. If I make sure the wheel is straight and then pull the key out - making sure I don't touch the wheel - it usually works the first try when I start it up again. This to me sounds like more of a steering lock problem. I've seen plenty of posts on replacing the tumbler/ignition switch, but nothing about replacing the steering lock. Any direction to links or instruction would be great! This is definitely my most urgent problem to fix!

Thanks!
Jim
1983 300SD Turbo Diesel