View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 11:30 AM

Door Lock Striker Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaDave View Post
My good run of nothing actually breaking on my 300TD has come to an end. Now, the driver's door will not give that MB "chunk" when the door is closed. It doesn't completely close, I can try again or push on it if outside and it may close properly. It seems the cam in the door lock that flips back when the door is closed doesn't hold the door tightly closed anymore. I'm thinking it has a spring which may have broken. I have lubed everything. I didn't see any message threads on the door lock problem itself. Can someone confirm it is the door lock probably ? I don't think a malfunctioning door handle would do this would it ?
It might just be an adjustment to the striker plate that is needed to align it properly - just loosen the four Allen bolts, and adjust the plate, tighten the bolts evenly and slowly as you check the door for proper locking, then give them a final tightening.

Other than that, it could be a worn 'Cam' caused by incorrect alignment and slamming in the door lock, in which case, it might need a good dab of proper lubrication grease, or must be replaced.