View Single Post
Old 10-03-2001, 12:21 AM
CheFrac is Back!
Red face Gas Tank Falling Off!!

One full gas
tank ago, I noticed that my fuel level only went up just past the 3/4 mark. I know I
had put 16 gallons in, so I knew the sender might just quirk (it has on occasion), but today
I filled it again, and it went to just below 3/4 of a tank!  I have gone 75 miles and
get a reading of 1/2 a tank.

Tonight I parked my car in the driveway when coming home (slight angle). When I put into park,
I heard something that sounded like sloshing liquid. So I let it roll a few inches and
stopped the car again, now that I was listening, I really heard the sloshing sound, and could
tell it was coming from the rear. It just be the gas tank I thought. But it was more than
just sloshing fuel, it sounded as though the driver's side of the gas tank was banging on the
back seat and then in the trunk a few times for a few seconds after the force of stopping the
car. So I am convinced that one of the 2 straps (?) that support the gas tank has come off!
Can I check this by removing the rear seat-back? If I can't figure this out tonight, I will
be taking the car in tomorrow when I'm at work. And maybe this could also be the reason for
my "Acceleration Resistance," ...because of the force of the gas tank that is not supported

Can I and how do I check this myself?
Techs: ever heard of this on a 6 year old car? (Maybe it could be from a somewhat aggresive
driving characteristic... but still...)
2006 E350 w/ 155k miles (Daily Driver)

1993 300E 3.2L Sedan w/ close to about 300k miles
2003 E500 Brilliant Silver (Had 217k miles when totalled!)
1989 300E with 289,000 miles (had for <1 yr while in HI)
03 CLK 500 cabrio (Mom's)
2006 C230k (Dad's)
1999 S420 (Mom's/Dad's)
2000 C230k Sport sedans
2001 CLK320 Cabrio (Mom's)
1995 C280 My First Mercedes-Benz... (155k miles. EXCEPTIONAL AUTOMOBILE. Was Very hard to let go of!)