View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Running on pure optimism.

Tumbler misaligned?

I'm going to take the tumbler out when I get home and see if it will work. I was just looking at it and noticed that the three dots that mark the key position are off by about 1/8". Is it possible that the square locking pawl on the side of the tumbler is misaligned with the space for it on the inside of the black cylinder, and this is what's causing the key to not turn? In any case, I'll pull it out when I get home. Has anyone done this without pulling the lower dash? Is there enough room to unscrew without removing it? Also, called one of the 4 dealerships in the area and was quoted $86 for the VIN specific tumbler. Sound about right?

R Leo-
Did you have to replace the whole steering lock? Was it noticably broken when you pulled it out? If not how did you locate the problem? Another problem with my car is that there are no buzzers. No key buzzers, no door's open buzzer, no blinker sound, no you left your lights on (which I've done twice - it's not like you can tell from the incredibly dim dash lights) buzzer. Nothing.

fastpakr-
I was thinking that the pin that comes out and locks the steering is failing, and grinding it down would mean no more steering lock - ever. But nevremj posted that "After key is removed and wheel centered a lever under the cylinder pops up and bolt goes into steering column. This lever must be depressed for key to turn. When it is working right, the tip of the key depresses this lever and lock can be turned." - so grinding the pin won't actually eliminate the steering from locking, it's the bolt inside the cylinder.

Thanks!