View Single Post
Old 10-04-2001, 06:18 AM
Razorback Soccer Dad

Thanks for the warning!

I am awaiting the CD-ROM info, but here's what I have done:

I have not loosened ANY tensioner bolts that I have found so far, but I DID play with that tension adjuster (recognized what I did based on your description). Loosening it didn't seem to do anything, so I then tightened it back up the way it was before. This was with the belt still in place.

Hope I didn't do any damage...

Anyway, I just hefted the old belt off with my bare hands. SO I left the tensioner alone and concentrated on the alternator.

It is held on with 2 15mm bolts (bolts! it's got bolts, praise God). Well, it turns out that I didn't have a 15mm socket (got 14, 16, 17, and 19, but no 15), so I had to use a 15mm crescent wrench. Mine is short, so no way to get the necessary torque to work those tight bolts off! Had to invent some levers with other tools to get the grunt I needed to work those bolts off...2 hours later, alternator is now off!

Oh yeah...halogen shop light decided to blow out early in the process...so I worked with a little flashlight.

Then realized I don't even have a socket big enough to get that alternator pulley bolt off to swap the pulley! Looks like a 22mm?

I am in serious need of tools! What I have could get me through a VW engine overhaul, but MBs are a different breed!

For now, I'm just going to take the alternators to the local indie and have them swap out the pulley...might even do it for free!

Maybe I will post pics anyway...good for a few laughs!!! :p
2016 Mustang (32K) - Daughter's car