View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 E320 View Post
Well, I thought I was going to get away with it, but guess not.
Nope. As Arthur writes in the thread he referred you to, the code is there to stay until the problem causing it has been resolved. I am having the exact same code 005 issue with my car and have yet to do the vacuum test, but will tackle it when the weather cools off and dries up next weekend. I am, however, studying the EGR tube path, and connections, in case that needs to be replaced or cleaned. (It's reportedly a pain in the neck to remove it from the car.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 E320 View Post
[FONT=System]
p.s. I don't know if it's relevent or just coincidence but, both times the light has come back on after being serviced from the dealer, and me erasing the codes, has been on the same day I've refueled it.
The only influence appears to be the number of times the EGR valve is "called" within a given time span. I am not exactly clear on how that system works, but the first time I reset the code the CEL came back the next day, after about 4 or 4 restart cycles. The second time I reset the code the CEL returned two days later, after about 8 or 9 restart cycles. I am assuming the computer allows a certain number of sequential EGR failures before sending a code to the diagnostic module, which is why we can drive a while without the CEL illuminating.

------------------------------------
Gone but not Forgotten:
2001 E430 4matic, 206,xxx miles, Black/Charcoal
1995 E320, 252,xxx miles, Black/Grey
1989 260E, 223,00 miles, Black/Black