Thread: suggestions
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 12:09 PM

suggestions

'92 300SE. PO totally trashed factory system. No head unit, amp wires cut and spliced all to bits.

Factory speakers intact. Was a Bose system with ported speaker boxes in doors and 4 - 5" (or so) speakers across the back deck, with a single tweeter unit up by the inside rearview mirror.

Reading around it seems that the bose speakers were 2ohm units, so most aftermarket systems aren't going to be capable of driving these units - assuming I could even figure out how to create the 3 zones.

Here's what I was thinking - maybe I'm nuts. The head-unit I'm looking at has 3 sets of pre-amp outs. How about 3 separate amps for the 3 "zones" - front doors (1), rear doors (2) and rear deck (3)? Separate amps can probably be configured (or purchased) to handle the 2ohm load.

Optionally, I could switch out the speakers for 4 ohm units, assuming I could find appropriately sized ones.

I'm just window shopping right now - I will most likely be sticking with Kenwood for the head unit - I'm very satisfied with the unit I have in my daily driver, and plan on pulling the Sirius tuner I have in that car and putting it in the Benz. Since the Sirius tuners are brand-specific, Kenwood will be the way I go.

BTW - in my current car, I replaced the factory head unit with the Kenwood and it feeds the factory amp which drives the factory speakers without any trouble - is this possible in the Benz (assuming I could EVER get the wires fixed at the amp)?

Suggestions are appreciated.