View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 10:46 PM
General Purpose Geek

Well, you CAN do powdercoating if you invest in a $100 gun and find a used home oven and can get it hooked up in your garage (fumes=toxic=no indoor oven).

I was lucky to find someone who does more industrial plating than show car plating do a lot of the parts on my car at a good price. The work was good enough and the price was extremely good. But I think he didn't really want to do this business so I found a "show chrome" plater. He is VERY expensive but the workmanship is absolutely first rate, the parts looked like jewelry. Be aware that NO ONE is going to give you a fast turn around, making this a winter project.

The best deal on wheels I found was at chromeyourwheels.com. MAYBE they cut a corner on not buffing the inside "slots" of my 15-holer 15" wheels, but their price was excellent and their workmanship in polishing and plating was absolutely top notch.

BTW, a lot of parts on these cars (aluminum) lend themselves to polishing. It's hard work, it's messy and maybe dangerous if parts go flying, it requires a little investment, but it was worth it. See my gallery and site.
Daily Driver Project

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm