View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 04:17 PM

JJ

I am slowly coming to the same conclusion also, although I don't think it's down solely to cost as all the features I request are not particularly expensive.

I suspect that third party manufacturers simply don't think there is a market and that the customer either wont know or care - so why not save a few pounds/dollars!

Maybe next spring you would be so kind and post several pictures comparing the old against the new top as what happens if the new MB top doesn't replicate the old? That for me would be disastrous. Spend 4 times the amount on a MB hood and still receive something that only matches typical aftermarket replacements.

Would love to find a manufacturer's name inside the hood also, JJ, please do post as many pics as you can as I would be sincerely grateful. I've spent 6 months trying to locate a quality replacement hood and although some exist none seem to offer the full replication - maybe a market here after all?

Red SL

That's a tough question, and only because the problem I'm finding is that after the initial correspondence I can't get any further information from the suppliers! So frustrating.

Here's a summary of as much as I know (not in any particular order):

Aresma

Not Sonnenland canvas but the sample is identical and it's manufactured in their own facility

Flex-glass is correct thickness and Wopavin

Have no picture

Can't tell if flex-glass is stitched

Eurotop

Quote:
Our top is manufactured like the original one (with stronger
windows)
Their tops are advertised with the correct thickness Wopavin but this reply doesn't install much confidence and contradicts their ads.

They advertise Sonnenland but haven't confirmed it's use by email

Pictures seem to indicate flex-glass is stitched but cannot confirm

GAHH

Used by my local fitters.

Confirmed use of Sonnenland

Stitched flex-glass

Not Wopavin, probably Ultralite

Prestige Auto

Confirmed use of Sonnenland

Think flex-glass is heat welded

Flex-glass isn't correct thickness (it's 1mm), they will not reveal manufacturer

Recommend I purchase new soft top from Benz!

See, a nightmare!

CarHood Warehouse

Are only fitters and purchase their hoods for US.

Rear windows are not Wopavin

I guess they buy their hoods from GAHH!

Recommend I purchase from MB!

Cheers
Lea

http://antron.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/i...nature/Sig.jpg

Last edited by LeaUK; 09-20-2006 at 04:36 PM.