View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 06:47 PM

Chuck, it's not quite that simple. I invested dozens of hours on these carbs in the early 70s and finally perfected the technique. Choke flap closure and pre throttle gap are best set on the bench. You need to do some tweaking on the arm that gives you initial pre throttle gap when vacuum pulls on the little diaphragm on top of the choke housing. You also need to remove the choke housing from the carb and tweak the little spring that advances the fast idle cam. Once this is done the carbs can be installed after all circuits have been chacked for function with a can of carb cleaner with a straw attached. The carbs need to be balanced with a unisyn while isolated from each other. Then they are connected with rod (tension free). With out the connecting rod attached and the engine at operating temp you open the throttle of each carb and advance each choke with a small screwdriver. Start the car without touching the throttle and check the ripums. If memory serves me it is 1800. I'd have to check my old training manuals from Mercedes. Adjust one or the other carbs up or down til the connecting rod fits tension free. I believe when they went from the 35/40s to 32/40s in 72, one screw was removed.