View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 01:28 AM
Registered Biodiesel User

Question Where's the boost???

I thought I'd try out my new boost gauge before building it into the car so I ran a temporary line from the intake manifold to the gauge. I fired up the engine in the garage but got no response from the gauge. I revved the engine to 3000 RPM -- surely that would get the turbo to spin, but no, the needle didn't budge. What's wrong?

Here's what I checked:
Gauge and line -- attached it to my air compressor and carefully increased pressure. Gauge works fine, even appears to be accurate.
Manifold port -- removed fitting, stuck screwdriver in port, not blocked by carbon. Attached rubber vacuum line to fitting, tried blowing into port through the line, no blockage sensed.

I haven't tried putting the gauge in the line to the ALDA as it (the line) is old and I don't want to risk breaking it until I have a spare on hand.

Admittedly, my experience with turbocharged cars is slim, but the car runs well and I'm sure my mechanic would have said something when he checked it out in April if the turbo wasn't working. Does the car have to be on the road, with a load on the engine for any appreciable boost to develop? I must be missing something. Please help!

Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Where's the boost???-boost_4718.jpg   Where's the boost???-boost_4720.jpg  

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-Diesel family
1996 E300D (W210) . .338,000 miles Wife's car
2005 E320 CDI . . 113,000 miles My car
Santa Rosa population 176,762 (2022)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 627,762
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970