View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 12:10 AM

My 'New' '89 420SEL

It's got 256K miles, idles poorly, starts even worse, is dirty inside (the front seats are bad), runs well when warmed up, has the check engine light on and a 100% duty cycle w/KOEO, duty cycle all over the place w/KOER and needs front end work (what else is new).

I ordered tires from Tire Rack on Saturday and they came today (Monday) so I'll mount them during my car class in the morning (Tuesday) and I've already removed the spindles so I can get new ball joints installed. I'll get a new steering idler arm and there is a steering leak that has eaten the large rubber bushings in the brake support (I wish I'd kept the old ones from my 300SE).

One really odd thing is that I noticed there was no hood catch. I got the parts from the dealer, the catch and pull handel but there are no mounting holes for them. I check the 300SE, same year, and they were there. Later I remembered the PO said the car had hit a deer. So someone sometime had fixed the car with junkyard parts from a pre 86 and the saftey catches are in the hood release clamps in the radiator crossmember support. I'll have to drill some holes for this to work.

The PO also gave me the air bypass hoses and the manifold gaskets. I'm sure it needs injector seals and new manifold donuts. I have my work cut out for me. It needs shofter bushings too.

The 220S is running well, the front and rear brakes look fine but needs new hoses and a brake fluid change, so does the the 420.

Warren

Currently 1965 220Sb, 2002 FORD Crown Vic Police Interceptor

Had 1965 220SEb, 1967 230S, 280SE 4.5, 300SE (W126), 420SEL

ENTER > = (HP RPN)

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952.