View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 03:26 PM

Unhappy strange noise while turning

Hey there! Ive been trying to search for this problem, but I seem to be having some problems with the search engine. Maybe someone can help me identify this problem. For the past 2 weeks my 85 300sd has been making this wierd "rubbing" sound when I turn right while the car is in motion. I have looked underneath the car to see that there is nothing rubbing on the tire with the steering wheel turned fully to the right. I did the same thing with the wheels turned completley the opposite way. Both times, nothig seems to be even close to rubbing with the tire. Upon further investigating as to what could be causing this, I have found that the noise only happens when the car is turning right and not while turning left. At one point I was able to duplicate the noise while the car was not moving, and I think its coming from the engine bay, but I cannot be certain. I feel it could be air in the powersteering system, but I have not done anything to the power steering system in over a year when I changed the fluid and fliter. Could this be the beginning signs of something ready to die??? Please advise!

1985 300SD (W126) 300K miles