View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 12:35 AM
Moof !

Over ther years, here's what I have gleened about this problem...
1) Make sure you are using the proper anti-freeze/coolant (MB or G-05).
2) Try to find a wider clamp and don't fuss with it. I swear that half the problems arise because people are loosening and tightening that clamp, and they overtighten it.
3) Make sure your motor mounts are in good shape. If your engine is rocking and rolling, it puts undo pressure on that joint.
4) Breakage is inevitable (usually around 100,000 miles and 10 years from what I've seen). Plan for it. Deal with it.

As for trying to repair it, I think I'd try to find a plastic reinforcing pipe (as its thermal coefficient of expansion will be closer to that of the radiator plastic) and use a high quality epoxy.

Sorry, I don't know what the inside diameter of the rad pipe is. When you get ready to repair it, take the broken piece to the hardware store to find a good fit. Make sure to rough up the old and new surfaces and makes sure they are absolutely clean before bonding.

Save up for a new radiator and get it replaced as soon as possible. You don't want to break down somewhere where it gets real difficult to get home. They aren't that expensive and you can do the job yourself.

Good luck!
1979 240D Josephine - sold, but not forgotten
2004 Pacifica AWD
http://web.mac.com/dakota/Mercedes/Home.html