Thread: Audiophiles
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2001, 10:49 PM
Razorback Soccer Dad

I was VERY MUCH into stereo equipment until family priorities pulled me away from it. My home system was quite fantastic years ago, but I believe it's mainstream now...

My MBs are OEM, but when I got into the car stereo circuit, my VW was my platform. This was before IASCA, and CAN (Car Audio Nationals) had only been around for a couple of years.

In-dash CDs were state-of-the-art then, and a lot of ancillary goodies (fuse holders, capacitors, crossovers) were not off-the-shelf items, so you had to fabricate everything...I mean, EVERYTHING!!!

I competed with a Nakamichi TD-1200 cassette deck (back then, the absolute best auto cassette unit made. Power was supplied by a Blaupunkt amp for the eight separates front and rear, and an Alphasonik amp for the two 10" Pyle woofers.

It was a modest system, (270 watts into 4 ohms total), good enough to trophy in local shows, but couldn't compete with the big guns in the regional.

Wouldn't even think of doing that again...takes a TON of money to be a national contender these days...
2016 Mustang (32K) - Daughter's car