View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 09:36 PM

the other 2 o-rings...

...belong to the valve lever shaft, along with the lock washer included in the kit. If you open up the valve, pull off the cam, AND unbolt the lever arm from the shaft, you can push the shaft out. Looking in the shaft hole from the outside of the valve casing, you will see two seals in undercuts. I got them out with bent picks, the used the shaft itself as a stop to help put the new ones in, needing a straight pick.

I weighed doing this at all, since it was not leaking , but the difference in tension was noticeable with new rings, so I am glad I did.

Feeling good about figuring that out did not stop me from screwing up. After making very sure to watch the orientation of the cam, while doing the shaft o-rings, I re-inserted the shaft 180* off (there is a relief in the shaft for the set-lock bolt, so it needs to go back the same way it came out. I oops'ed that.)

I found all this out when I put the valve back in the car and got the tail to rise and fall only with the lever pointing toward the back of the car. SO..... I have to remove, disassemble valve, pull shaft out and reinsert 180*.

A pictorial would really be helpful for first-timers on this. When I disassembled, everything flew apart, and I had to figure out what went where. As well, memory does not always serve perfectly. I was still saying prayers after the thing was bolted together. Anyone seen a pictorial guide to this?

Anyway, my wagon rear is sitting high and pretty. Yeehaw! Time to put the 15"s on!
2001 E320 72K