View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 05:40 PM

Question What If I wanted to....

I know that the topic of Zenith INAT has been beaten like a cryogenically dead horse on this discussion forum. I am not about to "go there" But I do want to start the discussion on conversion to a single unit carb. For my 72 250. To properly consider a change a comprehensive analysis must take into account the pros and cons.

First off I must ask; what is the advantage of two carbs over one?

Possible benefits for conversion.
1. No sloppy linkage from front to back
2. Only one carb to adjust
3. When the choke sticks, it is all or nothing
4. Cheaper then a dual Weber Conversion (like an Edlebrock for $250)
5. More fuel efficient?
6. Replace with a carb that I can actually find parts for

Possible disadvantages
1. Costs more then doing nothing
2. Finding/Fabricating an intake manifold
3. Finding the right carb for the application (size, jets, etc)
4. Less fuel efficient?
5. Figuring out the linkage to the auto tranny

I know that there are many of you out there may that think I am a fool for even bringing it up. It is not that I don't appreciate the dual zenith INAT that I have, it is just starting to be a real pain to find parts. For example I currently need to resolve the following issues: sloppy linkage bushings due to wear, weak fast idle cam return springs, weak accel. pump on rear carb due to either fault in pump or wear in the housing, two base gaskets missing from the rebuild kit that I bought, and the fact that no body sells the rebuild kit for the 32/40, rather they want you to use the 35/40.

So there it is, please feel free to chime in on the subject. I especially would like to hear from those who could tell me how to calculate the right size for a single carb, and any ideas on intake manifolds that may work.