View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:39 PM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DiSilvestro View Post
There was a European-market W123 250 that used a single-cam six with a single Solex 4V carb. That engine was designated the M123. I'm not certain that intake manifold will fit the M130 head because, though they look similar, there are differences between the two engines. But if you're determined to convert to a single carb, it's an option worth exploring.

Happy Motoring, Mark
about 20 years ago i converted my 3 liter bmw bavaria to a single four barrell after rebuilding the original (junk) solexes at least six times with no success. i bought a manifold from europe for the four barrell solex. a q jet was a perfect fit after relocating two of the mounting bolts 1/4" ea. i had three different q jets on it and the best turned out to be an older one with mechanical secondary actuation. i ordered the jet rods for a 67 pontiac soc six. they worked fine. if you waited to open the secondaries til about 2800 rpm when they opened the engine would just wail up to the redline and want to go way over it. all the books will say that this carb is too big for your engine but a german engine will flow a lot more air and rev higher than the typical american engine of the same vintage and i can assure you it will work fine. i would use a new edelbrock q jet replacement carb with mechanical secondary actuation and jets for the tempest (if available that way).

my biggest problem was clearance under the hood. the single carb setup interferred with the mc booster. i ended grinding off the corner of the manifold (i remember thinking while i was grinding it off that i was risking a $300 dollar manifold and thinking "oh well it isnt working as it is"). i also had the manifold milled at an angle at the head match point and shimmed one motor mount and installed a restraining strap to keep the motor from leaning too far.

i used a volvo throttle cable and fabricated several brackets from bar stock. i maybe had 50 hours in making it work before it was all over but when done it ran so much better than ever before it was well worth it.

i was younger then and had a lot of excess energy.

i could have bought a conversion kit from jamb engineering for about $600. that seemed like too much at the time. but it doesnt sound too bad now.

tom w
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.