View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Humble Benzophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAllison View Post
Deltajetfixer- My first expiriences were with air leaks in fuel lines, a bad delivery valve seal and a faulty shut off valve all at teh same time. Trust me, I've dealt with air. In my expirience then and since, if I dont crank long enough or if I stop the cycle after only one 30 sec crank, small bubbles being forced through the IP stop part way down and float back up to form a new larger bubble. This is what was meant by my statement of "loosing ground" as big air pockets are MUCH harder to break up and push through than are small frothy bubbles suspended within the fuel. We all know that all the air has to get pushed through, hence the need to have a strong battery and to keep going a couple times in a row to accomplish that task. On my car, the same occurs if the fuel filter was not filled or was only partially filled during replacement. One crank for 30-40 secs just won't do the job. A couple in a row is usually required for me.

Not sure I understand your point about new seals. When replacing fuel lines, unless you've pre-filled them somehow when installed you've introduced a lot of air in each new fuel line.

No offense taken and none offered.

Thanks,
I agree, one crank for 30-40 seconds won't do the job. I think I average around three 40 second cranks when I lose my prime due to replacing things.

My point, I guess, is that if it's going to take three,four, or even five 30-40 second cranks, assuming you have no leaks (this is where the new seals qualifier was added), you don't have to perform them in rapid-fire succession.

Remember that I'm just trying to protect the starter from heat damage here.

You should be able to crank for one cycle, go do something else for a while, come back and crank again, even 24 hours later. Your total cranking time is going to be dependant on the volume of air in the line compared to the displacement of the pump per pump stroke. In other words, if it's going to take 200 seconds of cranking to prime, with no leaks (new seals), assuming your starter was indestructible, you could prime all at once with one 200 second crank, or space it out with several crankings over a couple of minutes or hours or even days.

The statement, "...big air pockets are MUCH harder to break up and push through than are small frothy bubbles suspended within the fuel." , doesn't seem quite right as air is compressible and a big bubble is going to compress at the same rate as the small frothy ones. I don't see how one big bubble can sit there in a line and have all the others pass it by.

The only instance in which I can see cranking attempts with minimal wait times between them being beneficial is where a leak DOES exist, you ARE losing ground between attempts (leakdown), and you're just trying to get the car running to where you can drive it, park it and fix it.

During planned R&R of components where you'll lose the prime, I think cranking attempts, one right after the other, are unnecessary and pose a risk to the starter.

Again, the previous statements are just my opinion and I realize that your method works for you. Please don't take offense at them.
1982 320i

Last edited by deltajetfixer; 10-07-2006 at 06:09 PM.