View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 01:52 AM

robinSP (from here on the forum) went over today and looked at it as well, got an e-mail on what he found.

His take on it generally agrees with mine and everyone else on this thread - this is a project car that would take some time and serious money to set right. It's got a pretty face, but when you ask it to smile all you see is a row of buck teeth.

He described hearing an eggbeater sound coming from the cam chain area.

Hmmm, eggbeater sound from chain + new vacuum pump = old vacuum pump failed and sprayed guts inside engine?

I'd say the algae/plain water/not driven scenario would explain the muck in the surge tank. Dealer did mention that this was a second car for the previous owner and wasn't driven much.

He also mentioned that the oil leak looked to be coming from one of the trans cooler hoses at the radiator, and that he could hear an occasional miss and what sounded like a "woosh".

For my friend in TX, I'd have to give a pass on this one. He has limited funds for purchasing (as in taking out a loan), and certainly none for any major rework. Even though most of the mechanical faults might have a simple cause and fix (and the head might be fine after all), the general state of neglect under the hood leaves me feeling this car has far too much potential for turning into a money pit.

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville, NC
'87 300D 212K miles
'87 300D 151K miles - R.I.P. 12/08
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD 67K miles
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club