View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 05:19 PM

Smile W124 Turn Signals -- Success at Last!

I'm writing to publicly thank a forum member for taking time to help me with a nagging problem that was driving me batty.

As previously posted, my turn signals on my E320 Cabriolet have been giving me fits -- working fine for months, then conking out in high humidity. Following suggestions I found in forum postings pertaining to this problem (which is apparently not uncommon), I replaced the combo switch and, later, the hazard switch. Each time, they would seem to be working ... but eventually the problem re-occurred. Resetting the hazard switch (or using the windshield washer) would help in a pinch, but the problem always came back and the turn signals would die.

I recently discovered an old posting -- almost four years back -- that made mention of a relay governing the turn signals and other devices. I'd always thought there should be some relay but never saw mention of this anywhere else. I contacted the writer directly, Reny Varghese, but didn't expect to hear back since the posting was so old. I was amazed -- I got a reply within a day and even more amazing, he sent me back detailed instructions and a photo showing the location of the somewhat hidden relay.

I ordered a new relay last Friday; it arrived today and for the first time in about two years, my turn signals are clicking away and all seems well. I'm grateful for this shop forum and very grateful to Reny for his help.