Thread: W123 gearing
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 11:11 PM
dieselarchitect

yes the 85 has 288s. you would need to change the rear end and the speedo. but the increase in economy would me minimal. it is a swap i would only do if there was a failure in the diff, i think.

i am not aware of any od units that would bolt onto the back of the benz automatic. it is possible the volvo unit could be adapted. but that would be expensive unless you had the skill and tools to do it yourself.

going to a lower numerical rear end will normally increase the fuel economy significantly. in my opinion it is the only economical way to significantly increase economy in a benz diesel.

lots of folks have done it. with an automatic about any commonly available rear end will work, but with a stick if you go too high the results can go south for taking off from a stop.

tom w
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.