View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 09:07 AM
1981 300 SD

My eyes are blurry from reading all the threads relating to this, and I have many more to read. I haven't even started to search yet how to disassemble the dash on this '81 300 SD.

As I take a break for a while, I have a few questions. I have the 126 body style, I'm pretty sure. See how ignorant I am about this car? The Diesel Giant instructions are for an '85 300 D, same animal? What about the 123? Same instructions apply? I have also seen posts regarding E class cars and others.

I have seen some posts about removing the key cylinder and using a screwdriver in place of a key. I am not at all concerned about theft with this car. Is this an option for me? Other than the theft issue and the obvious "tackiness" about using a screwdriver for a key, what are the drawbacks? Would the steering wheel lock still cause me a problem?

If I can remove the cylinder and use a screwdriver to keep driving the car without fear of being stranded, that's what I'll do, for now.

I'm trying to digest all of the information I can before I tear into this. Thanks for all of your help. whunter posting the links to the threads was a huge time saver.