View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 01:37 AM
General Purpose Geek

This is a part of a larger problem; I'm amazed at the complete lack of common mechanical sense exhibited by MOST (but not all) persons under the age of 30. The first machine that most young persons (such as myself) learned the operation and repair of was their car - because they HAD to. When you do this, you actually learn quite a bit. Now, it takes $$$$ to even have the tools to fix a car, and a lot of it, you can't fool with anyway. Now, ma and pa get the kid a two year old car instead of the kid working to earn the money for a 10 year old "fixer-upper". We changed cams to get some performance; today, you put a stainless steel fart can on the back of the car. There are exceptions to this, of course, and I'm amazed at the sophisticated quality things young people are doing. "Pimp My Ride" (look past some of the ridiculous stuff they install due to sponsor's "plug money")restored some of my faith.

A friend of mine in Detroit, somewhere in the early 1980's, told me that there were no "tune-up" or "oil change" shops in Detroit because everyone and their mom - literally - their mom - took auto shop and not only could but were expected to do simple repair on their own cars. Any "working" person who would pay someone to do these things was either lazy, foolish with their money, or an idiot.

When I was in school, there was some vague stigma about becoming an engineer - that you would work with your hands and get dirty, somehow. Exactly why is this a stigma?

Economics will solve the trade worker problem; eventually, it will be noticed that graduates of tech schools are commanding a lot more money than those with four year remedial education college degrees who wind up sitting at a desk cruising the 'Net where they will do as little harm as possible, while the trailing edge of the baby boom and Gen X do the heavy lifting.

PS:

Very often, I'm one of the only people in a parts store not behind the counter who speaks English. People think it's funny to see those customers huddled around a car on weekends. I think those guys getting dirty or their children will get the last laugh.
Daily Driver Project

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm