Thread: Cover letter
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 01:28 PM

I read cover letters constantly (I'm a professional staffing consultant). The truth is, I pay very little attention to them. The only time I read them closely is if something in the resume makes me suspect there are communication skills issues, so I will go back to the cover letter to check for grammar/spelling mistakes. Most people take the time to have a resume proof-read by someone but will do a cover letter on the fly, so it gives a more accurate reflection of writing skills.

Having said that, keep it short. The three paragraph suggestion is good. Use the letter to directly address your strengths for this particular job. Get specific about why you are a particularly good match. Your resume is probably more general in how it is prepared, so a cover letter that addresses specific keys for the job/company you are applying for will be appreciated. You should also take the time to personalize the letter. Call reception and get the proper spelling of the name of the person you are addressing it to, and get their proper title. And have someone proof-read your letter for any spelling or grammar mistakes.