Thread: Car Covers
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Benz View Post
What kind of bus are you restoring? Camper, Deluxe, etc.? I've always wanted to do a Deluxe, but restoring the window rubber would cost as much as the rest of the overhaul!!! :eek

Safari windows must require a king's ransom by now...the authors of my fav VW rag decades ago scoured the lower regions (Mexico, Costa Rica, etc.) for defunct VW parts yards and dealerships and bought up all of the NOS parts they could find...safari windows, glass taillights, etc...
Mine is a '77 VW 7-passenger bus. Blue & white. Just over 70k on it. Bought new in Connecticut by my grandfather. Stored each winter at their White Mountain home while they were in FL. He understood my love for vehicles so he left it to me (paid the estate $1). Other than some limited surface rust (more like missing paint) both exterior and interior are quite exceptional.

I am not doing the restoration since I know nothing about body work and painting. A gentleman in Vermont (near Mt. Okemo) does nothing but VW restorations and he is doing the work. He will be replacing all of the window seals plus replacing the fogged windshield. According to him, the biggest mistake people make when painting these is not getting the organge peel look. As he showed me, a smooth paint job highlights the sheet metal imperfections along the long sides of these. Factory paint was always orange peeled for a reason.

I'll post some pictures of it showing before it went up . . .
Steve
'77 VW Type II - 77K - Restored
'08 250EX Ninja
English Bulldog (Brier) - My best friend. Passed away 12/02/04 while in my arms.