View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 06:02 PM
romansek

and we have progress...

After adjusting the ignition distributor the car finally has power and is drivable.

However, I still have some oil that should not be there in Cylinder #1. I've idled the car for an hour and after I turned it off and removed the spark plugs I have oil on top of the piston still. (I cleaned the injectors and I'm sure that Cylinder #1 is getting fuel and spark.)

Why is this oil not being burned when the car is operating? I suspect the oil is getting through the valve stem seals because are bad.

I ordered a manual for engine M100 and it's on its way. However, I was hoping in the meantime that someone who has the manual could look up and give me the correct timing for the engine so I could continue on.

I know I have to replace the valve stem seals but my problem is to find the tools to compress the springs inexpensively. Does anyone have any ideas of where I could buy one for less or maybe rent one. Here is a post from another forum member and I've contacted this user but he has not responded. Is there anyone who could help me with a similar offer?

* 280Sbenz

*i make the tool you need to compress the spring to remove the rocker on these engines.

*around $60 AUD if you want one not including post

*makes life a lot easier to remove the rockers and a lot cheaper than the genuine factory part.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
86 420SEL 228K
83 280SL 145K (5 spd)

Last edited by romansek; 10-28-2006 at 10:09 AM.