View Single Post
Old 12-30-1999, 07:59 PM
Veteran

I guess the big issue now is the hole to be cut. I just spent some time looking about inside the trunk and discovered that there are three 57mm x 130 mm holes in the angled sheet metal (if you can call stuff that thick "sheet metal")of the parcel shelf. The holes are in the near-vertical piece of the parcel shelf ...the area I mean is on the passenger compartment side of the sunscreen, and the center of the three holes aligns perfectly with the back, angled wall on the inside of the 1st aid kit. If I cut through the wool (??)and the underlayment/insulation scthuff I'd have me a port I do believe. And that port would breath through the imperfectly sealed 1st aid cover, which in my case includes a big hole where you grab it to open it. Or would I need to install a 6" or 8" (max) grille in the cover to provide no obstruction at all at that point??

The nice thing here is that the head unit has a dedicated, independently adjustable sub out adjustable from the front face, so it'll be easy to attenuate volume-wise (even shut off on business...).

So, how much road noise would this size port really add? If much, could you do some sort of flapper made of thin rubber to isolate when not emanating sub vibes? My trunk's completely lined in that wool-looking stuff (they didn't skip anywhere except directly under the parcel shelf), so I'd think it's pretty quiet back there to start with, no??

What's the purpose of the mesh you use, Bri?? Does it simply act as a grille? And why wouldn't a metal/plastic grille mounted flush with the top surface of the MDF be adequate with the carpet popped on top?? Then I could retain the original floor mat back there and just elevate the small separate piece that covers the well on the drivers side (the OE phone brain's down in there, and when installed there's a cover for the entire well). Sorry if I'm a neophyte, but some of this is above my head and I'm nothing more than a frustrated engineer, no formal training.

Given that I'm gonna run a very solid 200 watts to the sub, will that thereby require a smaller hole 'cuz you're making so much thump?? I really want to keep road noise to a minimum, so I guess I want it all...

Lastly, any recommendations on size/ohm rating/single-DVC/brand on the sub? How about the thickness of the MDF on the floor & back of trunk?

As always everyone's thoughts are appreciated.

------------------
Best regards, Michael
'92 500E
'88 300TE

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 12-30-1999).]