View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Registered Biodiesel User

Finished at last!

I finished my zebrawood panel and installed the gauges this morning. It looks pretty good. The color match turned out better than I expected.

The gauges are such a tight fit in the space available that I was unable to use the plastic screw-on clamps for the outside gauges. Instead, I used hot glue (see the backside photo). Crude, but it worked.

The panel is attached to the console with gravity and friction. The zebrawood is backed up with a sheet of aluminum, painted black because it is slightly higher than the zebrawood. This is because the sheet of zebrawood that came from the local Woodcraft store was just slightly shorter than the removed ash tray. Since it was otherwise perfect for the job, I decided to make it do.

Everything is attached with connectors so it can all be removed without cutting anything. The VDO gauges have an excellent night lighting system and are easy to see, although I'd rather have them up on the level of the top of the dash. Oh, well.

Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
How are your gauges mounted..???-img_1445.jpg   How are your gauges mounted..???-img_1448.jpg   How are your gauges mounted..???-img_1449.jpg   How are your gauges mounted..???-img_1453.jpg  

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-Diesel family
1996 E300D (W210) . .338,000 miles Wife's car
2005 E320 CDI . . 113,000 miles My car
Santa Rosa population 176,762 (2022)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 627,762
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970