View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantman View Post
My house in Central Florida was built in 1926.

The hardwood in the bathroom was pretty much shot so I tiled over it. The kitchen has some cheesy tile which I will remove one day and hope that the oak underneath is not too bad.

Do you have any way to see underneath like a sub-floor? Can give you insight as to possible damages......May save you some time.

My house is late 1800's, though it's been fiddled with several times since then (additions and renovations). So far, I have exposed perhaps 15% of the wood floor, all of which looks to be intact, but it's all covered in that tar-like mess. I just want to get it paintable, so the wood itself needn't be perfect.

The kitchen shares a wall with a bathroom, which was added sometime in the 60's, I'd guess. It will be interesting to see what the floor is like in the bathroom when we get to redoing it! Maybe it's the same pine; hard to say.

This house is full of surprises. When I pulled out the in-wall bookcase to refinish parts of it, we found a small cavity behind it, next to the chimney. The original plumbing for an upstairs bathroom still hung from above in the cavity -- someone just cut the supply AND return lines and left them in there! I also found several old letters from the early teens and an old breast pump (still in its box) that had obviously fallen down in the cavity from the bathroom above at some point.

Old houses are a pain in the ass, but they sure can be interesting!
1974 Triumph TR6
1999 Saab 9-5 wagon (wife's)