View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedMech View Post
I would PM retmil46, and BEG for his time to help you out and use the advice he gives you wisely.
Exactly.

Concerning education, the nuke program is extremely intensive academic training. Two guys who work for me went through the nuke program (both were ET's, not MM's). They are excellent problem solvers and bright as can be. From what they tell me you better have a heck of a memory and understand "attention to detail."

If you get rattled in high-pressure, high-intensity situations where quick and accurate technical analysis are required then you are not going to like propulsion engineering school.

The Navy wants you to succeed, especially in those extraordinarily selective schools, but the wash-out rate is pretty high. IIRC there are benchmarks along the way that if you fail, you go to alternate paths with reduced obligations.

But make no mistake, they have your ass. The Navy's contract will be enforced at their discretion and pleasure, not yours. My experience in the Navy shaped my life in many ways, and not all good. It is the worst nightmare experience of a bureaucracy imaginable because tradition is a second God. But a flexible mind and attention to detail will be the two best tools you have for success.

B