View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 07:54 AM

bulb is one-piece

Far as I know, the bulb and the holder are sold as a one-piece item - that's why it broke when you tried to remove it.

I'm on a first-name-basis with a local dealer parts guru - that's where I go for little items like this.

I recently purchased 2 window lift motors from e-bay for my '92 300SE. Both were supposedly from the same car. (Both of mine were ka-put) Got the motors VERY cheaply ($10 for passenger rear and $20 for the drivers) - both shipped to my door for about $45. At those prices, I was willing to take the risk, as a rebuilt unit from Autozone or the like runs about $85. The driver's side worked flawlessly - the passenger motor had the same issues as my old one, so I went with a rebuilt unit from Autozone.

Personally, for what the dealer (or FastLane for that matter which is $225.40 - probably about 1/2 of the dealer price) wants for new unit, I'd try your luck with a rebuilt unit from one of the major auto-parts chains.

BTW - I sent a notice to the seller on e-bay about the non-functional (basically) right rear motor and told them I fully understood that I was buying a used part (for which I paid very little $), but that it did not work as they had said it did and as such, while I wouldn't post negative feedback, I was going to give neutral feedback. Surprise of all suprises, they had an issue with the neutral feedback!!! e-bay is a GREAT source for parts, but caveat emptor! In the past 3 months I've spent close to $1K finding various parts for my much-neglected-by-PO 300SE, and so far, only about $100 has been wasted $ - but I'm VERY careful in my purchasing patterns.