View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 01:12 PM
GemstoneGlass

i'm hooked. just got another one. glow plug issue

I just got a nice 79 240d. for $350. it needs some minor work,but the body and int. are pretty nice. I first baught it for parts, but I realize its worth fixing. I'll post pics soon as i wax the oxidization off.
All I have to do is fix the glow plug system, and do a slave cylinder. I had to shift without the clutch to get her home.
I have boiled the glow plug problem to the relay or the ignition switch. Is there a way to test the relay? it is not turning off. I can hear the relay click when I turn the ignition to the on position but it never clicks off If i turn the the ignition switch back off the relay clicks again. I am prety handy with electrical stuff, but i have a mechanical engineer friend who is really handy with electrical stuff. All i need is to give him a little direction. the glow plugs are definitly always on.
Also I was looking at the ignition switch and it seems oily. like its seeping out the crack where the switch meets the steering lock assembeley. could this be the culprit. Does anyone know a testing procedure for this switch. I have a excellent multimeter, but i know only the basics on how to use it.
the oil thing i know is a seperate problem with the vaccume and ill search that one soon. hopefully there is not oil throughout the system. thanks in advance for the help. I'm going to look for a used relay today, but i dont want to just start replacing things. Maby I'll try cleaning up that ignition switch.

Chris
84 280sl
82 300d euro