View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 01:03 PM

I find that with my '98 E300 DT there is slightly longer crank times even on a hot shutdown restart if I don't wait for the glow plug light to go out than if I wait the extra second or two for it to glow. I learned to drive on a '74 240D and with that car you only needed to pre-glow when it was cold, ie the first start of the day. In that car if the engine was even lukewarm it would kick right over without a millisecond of glow. But the OM606 seems to appreciate a second or two of pre-glow even when it is hot so I do it. It may be the newer style of pre-chamber that relies on the plugs more than the heat stored up in the head, but whatever the reason the car seems to like it better that way.

I guess I feel, like another responder, that GPs are cheaper and easier to replace than a starter so if I can cut a second or two of cranking off the starter every time I hot start it I might extend its life a little in the long run...plus I like the sound of it just kicking over and starting with less than one revolution of the engine rather than listening to rururur.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz