View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 08:58 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by psfred View Post
On the assumption that this system is very similar to the one in the 88 TE, bad accumlators will eventually lock the suspension completely -- once the nitrogen is so low in them that the diaphram cannot move, they are full of incompressible hydraulic fluid and the strut piston cannot move at all. The only "spring" left in the rear suspension is the tire on each side. The car will bounce off the pavement in this condition, and follow road surface deviations VERY closesly. Unmistakeable.

Driving it in this condition will blow the seals out of the struts fairly quickly, causing them to leak badly.

Peter

wow. i've got a 95 e320 wagon, and the car bounces around like crazy in the back. the shocks look fine (ie. no leaks so far) but now I am paranoid and want to go look again. would the be best course of action be to replace the accumulators ASAP? how will i know if there is other damage? do I just put in new accumulators and hope for the best? any conclusive way to KNOW the accumulators are shot aside from "bouncing around like crazy?"

whats the procedure for changing them out, is it super straight forward (ie. once i expose them it'll be painfully obvious)?

sorry for the barrage of questions, but now I'm really freaking out.