View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Dieseldiehard

Hatch strut ramblings, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
my mom's td is a bit saggy, I may take the wrench off your hands.
John
Before you do anything, check your particular model to see if they used allen hex bolts or torx (make that triple square) bolts. Early TD's differ from later ones in this respect.
I also discovered the fuel expansion tanks are metal in the '79 TD and plastic in later years. Found that out when my '85 started smelling strongly of diesel fuel in the cabin, then tried unusuccessfully to patch it with hot glue and epoxy. Finally got a metal one to replace it now it should last a hundred years.

What pisses me off about the hatch struts is they don't seem to last very long! I've replaced both sets in my TD's and the one I changed 5 years ago is now unable to hold the hatch up on a cold day. On a hot day they work fine. They don't get used but once or twice a monoth, its not like I use them a lot but I think they are under pressure while the hatch is closed, so that may explain it. Changing them is no fun either! I have a 2X4 of the right length to prop the hatch up, its a calibrated MB tool

Its a bad deal, but OTOH I remember a friend's ricer, his gas pistons for the hatchback only lasted about 5 years, so maybe its an industry-wide problem?