View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Marine Engineer (retired)

My train o' thought.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
That seems to be normal, mine will take about 7.5 quarts after I let it drain for an extended amount of time with a hot engine. I assume there is some oil in the system that does not completely drain out, and I really doubt there is an air bubble left in the filter housing. It's not a good idea to overfill these engines, most people try to keep the oil level at the midpoint between the two dipstick marks. It's also best to check the oil level after it's been sitting for a while (overnight is good) to avoid getting in artificially low reading.
I generally check oil before starting, usually after vehicle has been sitting idle for a day or more.....so therefore I assume that all of the oil that's gonna drain to the sump..has.....

If all oil is in sump...then if oil is at the upper marks....when engine is at rest...
Then, when engine is running, some of that oil will be pumped up into various oil passages and galleries that had drained down.....
Thus.....lowering level to somewhere in the midpoint of the high and low marks....when engine is operating...

Still, I wanna know why I cannot add the entire lube charge after oil/filter change...
Last Oil change, I was measuring the oil that I had drained out...but accidentally spilled some...invalidating that test....will do again next oil change.....

SB

Diesels:
'85 300D, "Max, Blue Benz", 155K, 27.0 MPG
'84 190D 2.2, "Eva, Brown Benz", 142K, 40.2 MPG
'77 240D (parts car)
'67 Eicher ES 202 Tractor "Otto" (2cyl, Air Cooled, 30HP)
Gassers:
'94 Ford F-150, "Henry", 170K (300 Six) 17.5 MPG
'85 190E 2.3, 148K....Parts Car
'58 Dodge W300M Powerwagon (Flat Fenders) Less than 10 MPG