View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 05:48 PM

I am a safety nut too. lol. I was glad to see how well the redesigned 04+ F150 performed, especially when compared to the dreadfully poor results of the 1997-03 model. I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra, so naturally I am pleased of the excellent IIHS score of the Tundra- which had no collaspe.

Actually, I have a 1985 W126 (380SE). The username was from before. I WISH I had a 86'/newer 560SEL/420SEL/300SDL. Also, my 85' does not have the airbag option, but I still feel very safe in it.... even more-so than I am say when I am driving my moms 97' Achieva w/DUAL airbags.
I know that even the older non-airbag equipped Mercedes of the 85 and older vintage have alot of safety features built into them. I have personally never seen a W126 in an off-set crash, but I imagine that it would perform very well. I have a 1984 Mercedes prestige sales brochure and there is a big section in there on Mercedes safety. Goes on to comment about all of the padded interior panels on the interior- no sharp objects, smooth edge controls, highly energy absorbing steering wheel/column (which you can really tell by how soft the steering wheel and hub is) and how even the steering wheel itself is deformable under heavy contact with the driver and how the steering column is collaspable from both ends. The steering box located BEHIND the front axle, fuel tank located in the middle of the car and ahead of the rear axle, etc- so yeah, I know what you mean about those kids in those little cars taking chances against a heavy MB.

I also have a 69' Caprice (4300 lbs.) and a 73' Grand Ville (4600 lbs.). While no airbags, I still feel very safe in those heavy sedans. They are late enough models to have energy absorbing steering columns/instrument panels, padded dash panels, head restraints, door beams, safety latches, 4-point safety belts. Actually, the sales brochures on both give a long list of safety features that were big deals back then. As you know, many cars before 1967 did not have energy absorbing interiors as standard. (General Motors did as early as 67', but Ford and Chrysler Corp. did not until 68', when several safety features became mandatory. Remember back in the 50s, when padded dash was optional (if it was even available- as some models did not even have it optional). Standard on the mid 50s and later Cadillacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroohk View Post
I like how the F150 with the redesign scored off the charts for a domestic truck and was on par with Asian imported 'full size' trucks. I have driven a new F150 and was blown away by the rigidity of that new chassis. I also noticed that you drive a 1986 W126 as well. I have an '86 300SDL and have had high school 'people' (im 34, and STILL think I am a kid a times...lol) cut me of, and my usual thought process is this... "I am driving just under 4000 lbs of 20 year old german steel WITH an airbag and pretensioners... bring it on!" I also love how our (correct me if I am wrong) W126 cars were the first Mercedes products to be designed specifically for the off set crash! I have named mine Rudy, and that car is like an old friend. I have a 2000 BMW 3 series coupe (soon to be a same body M3 in early 2007) and while it has ALL the safety stuff, there is this feeling of 'fort knox on wheels' that I get in the old SDL! Being a safety nut I HAD to contribute to this thread.
1988 Mercedes 300SEL
1972 Chevrolet Caprice Kingswood Estate 9-passenger wagon
1973 Pontiac Grand Ville
(Prior MB's: 1974 240D, 1985 380SE, 1984 190D, 1993 400SEL)