View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
Brian,
I believe I followed your instructions to the letter. I left the first hose from the "T" to the damper and on into the VCV in place. I left the second hose from the "T" to the transmission in place. I removed the third hose from the "T", the one coming from the vac. pump. Into this hole on the "T" I placed the Mity Vac.

When the Mity Vac handle is squeezed I read 11 on the guage, but it does not hold. I start losing vacuum immediately, down to 0 over the course of 23 seconds. When I open the rack, the guage falls to zero almost instantly.

I take it these results are a little different than you had expected?

For my drive home from work today I disconnected the vac line at the damper above the VCV. The flaring went away, but the hard shifts were back, as would be expected. Of course, I reconnected the vac line in order to turn the car off.

What do you recommend I do from here?
Yep, unfortunately, you've got two problems.

The first, but not all that severe, is a vacuum leak at the modulator on the side of the transmission. This is usually caused by leaks in the rubber cap. But, 23 seconds is not a catastrophic leak. I'd like you to fix it because it affects how we do the remaining adjustments.

But, in the short term, until we do get it fixed, we will change the procedure and use the engine vacuum as the source, because it's unlimited.

Disconnect the line to the transmission and connect the Mityvac to the output from the VCV.

Start the engine.

Get a reading on the Mityvac gauge (don't pump it......just read the gauge).

I expect that it will read 11" as you previously reported. We need to reduce this to about 8" or so.

Look on the side of the VCV for a domed cap. You may or may not have it. If so, then carefully pry the cap off the VCV. There is a locknut and a small screw beneath. Release the locknut and turn the screw clockwise by about 5 degrees (NOT MORE). Watch the Mityvac gauge. You're looking for 8". When you get it, tighten the locknut and snap the cap back on.

Reconnect the transmission line and take it for a drive. Report back.