View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 03:18 AM
Klatta Klatta

Unhappy

Went and pulled the new prechamber and found that it had a nice big round dimple in it. Noticed a hole in the same spot looking down onto the piston. At that point I wrote the engine off... and decided to at least learn something from this big screw-up of mine and pulled the head. Didn't swap the IPs like I said I was going to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
...pulled the PC with the GP still installed. my guess is the pc pintle ball fell into the cylinder and destroyed a valve or piston crown...
John
Almost. As I fessed up in post #9, I did pull that prechamber with the GP still in , but I didn't think anything of it since the GP when I put it in was short (see the picture with the quarter, I bent off that flaky end piece). Apparantly it was just long enough for the PC to shear off and drop a 1 cm or so chunk of metal into the cylinder (it was NOT the prechamber pintle ball... see the pics, its on the concrete, the ball never left the PC). It actually didn't "break" anything, but for all intents and purposes it might as well have. I think the pics speak well enough for themselves...

I think its amazing the valve didn't break... and that the metal chunk is still embedded in the piston!!

Okay, so why that cylinder wasn't running is solved, but why did the new injector nozzle tip burn up in the 5-10 miles that the pictured damage was done? That chunk of metal was bouncing around in the cylinder proper... not the prechamber, so I don't see what that would have done to cause the injector to go FUBAR. Any ideas on that? IMO, something is still fishy with the IP. Unless you guys can convince me otherwise, I think that IP is trash/disassemble experiment.

As far as my options for this engine.... head could be rebuilt I think? Which from searching seems to be about $1100-1200. Do I have any options for the long block? That seems to be super expensive ($4-5k)... Can you get an individual piston (or is that a bad idea, they seem to only come as a set, and I imagine that is for a reason)? Basically, do I have any options that aren't less than a full rebuild? I'm not keeping my hopes up, just trying to gather all my options so I can figure out what to do with the car.

As I imagine everyone is going to say toasted engine... I guess I'll be parting it out for use on my other SD. If the interior of the white car was nicer, I would go about finding another engine... as it is.... I'm out my first MB, and my brother isn't too happy now that he has to buy a car...

I will always have the glowplug out whenever I pull a prechamber again!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IP Destroying Injectors, GP, and Prechamber? [long]-dirtyblock.jpg   IP Destroying Injectors, GP, and Prechamber? [long]-dirtyhead.jpg   IP Destroying Injectors, GP, and Prechamber? [long]-prechamberdimpled.jpg   IP Destroying Injectors, GP, and Prechamber? [long]-dirtyheadnum4.jpg   IP Destroying Injectors, GP, and Prechamber? [long]-dirtycylinder4.jpg