View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 01:46 PM
1983 300CD

Helpful info on CV joint replacement

Hello all. I did some work to the 83 300CD this weekend. Just wanted to post my results so hopefully it may help someone else in need. I have certainly gained much valuable info from others on this board. You are all gentlemen!!!

I had the loud "thumpthumpthump" from the right rear of the car and I knew my cv shaft was bad. I tried the used shaft from the salvage yard here but when i got it out, it looked worse than mine. So I bit the bullet and went to AZ to pick up a remanned shaft. Upon inspection, it looked to be ok. I know some on here have strong opinions against them because of the questionable quality.

I learned a trick from an Indy shop friend of mine. First, make sure you can get the fill plug loose before removing the rear cover. Would be bad to remove cover and then not be able to fill it back up because of a stuck plug.

I jacked the car up, put jack stands under it, took the right rear wheel off and looesened the 13mm bolt that holds the cv shaft to the hub. I then removed the four bolts holding the carrier mount to the body and removed all of the rear cover bolts. I then removed the c-clip inside holding the cv shaft. I then placed the jack under the carrier so I could raise it up as high at it would go. By doing this, it allowed enough clearance for me to be able to just slip the cv shaft right out with little or no beating. I had to wiggle it out over the ebrake cable and under the brake line.

The new one went in just as easy. I placed one side of the shaft in the carrier and secured it there with the a NEW c-clip. I then pushed the other side as far up to the hub as I could get it. It was a tight fit and would not just go straight in. I then had my wife slowly turn the opposite rear wheel and because the shaft was already in the differential, it turned the shaft that was riding on the inside of the hub enough to where I just rolled it into place. I then wiggled it to get the splines to line up and pushed it the rest of the way in. I then secured it with the NEW 13mm bolt and tigtened it to 30 Nm. Did a quick clean up of the rear cover housing and inspected the mount. Put everything back in place and refilled the carrier with the correct amount of fluid. I took it for a drive and it sounded much better. No more thump thump thump.

I did notice while under the car that the two fuel lines running from the tank were soaked with diesel. Anyone know where I can get these at a bargain?

I hope this information helps others that need to change the cv shaft. It was a quick and easy job.
1983 300CD Best $ I ever spent. (Mine)
1984 190D (sold and glad I did)
1983 300D (sold and wished I hadn't)

Last edited by JEREMYC; 12-01-2006 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Title change request. Thank You