View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Tubber

Trying to track a coolant leak, '84 300D

450,000 km on car, Frybrid SVO kit installed.

Aux. coolant pump wired to come on with ignition.

I've checked all my coolant connections that I installed with the kit and they are all dry. The water pump isn't making any noises. When the car is warmed up and then shut off, the leak is there sometimes and other times not. Some leaks are a few drips, other times I lose as much as 1/2-1 litre of coolant. The car doesn't leak when its running, only when shut off, and the leak stops after a couple of seconds, or as much as 10 minutes.

Trying to find the location of the leak is dufficult. The closest I can nail it down to is from underneath, it drips from the passenger side of the crank area, dripping off the oil pan.

Questions are is it the water pump itself or the gasket? And with the mileage I have, might I just replace the water pump anyways if the gasket is no good? Or is it something else? The water pump housing and associated clamps and connections appear dry. The belt driven fan appears to have blown some coolant around as well.

Oh, and I had the leak before I wired the aux pump to come on with the ignition.

Thanks

Blaine