View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 01:55 PM

Just did my driver's side this morning. Based on Jim's note above and common sense, it seemed to me like the driver's side ought to be the mount needing the rubber cover, since that's where the fuel leaks would occur. However, when I took the driver's side mount off and compared it to the new ones, I thought that the mount without the rubber cover looked more like the one that came out. Comparing part numbers convinced me to use the mount without the rubber cover. The mount that came out had the number 202 240 28 17. The new mounts had the numbers 202 240 30 17 and 203 240 06 17. The 203 mount had the rubber cover on it. The 202 mount looked more like the mount that came out and it's number also appeared to be a later edition of the correct original mount. But that's what I get for thinking!! Before I did the right side, I figured that I better double check with my EPC. Turns out that my original thoughts and Jim's directions are right. The mount with the rubber cover does go on the left side and the 202 240 30 17 goes on the right side. So back to redo this job and put the right mount on the right side. Fortunately, the job is not that tough and ought to go even quicker this time.

BTW, the only thing I might add to Jim's excellent report is to run a die over the threads on the bolts to allow them to screw in a little easier and I also used locktite which there appeared to be on the ones I took out.

BTW, a short test drive with the new mount showed that all the roughness had disappeared. It definitely made a nice improvement.

Len
'99 E300TD 97,500 miles