Well, I gave up and took it took it to the Sears repair center. Got it back yesterday, and they had adjusted the valve and cleaned the carburetor. They also did some other repairs that I didn't ask for (but really needed, so I didn't complain). $124 total; ($65 in parts). Starts on the first pull now.
Finally, they also sent the correct parts for my leaf blower, so I can reassemble that too.
I am sure my neighbors were wondering why my yard had taken a nosedive as of late...
2009 ML350 (84K) - Family vehicle
2001 CLK430 Cabriolet (71K) - Wife's car
2005 BMW 645CI (124K) - My daily driver
2012 Mustang V6 (60K) - Daughter's car