View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadavis View Post
On the 87 the glow plugs cut out as soon as you turn the key to start, at least on the August and earlier models.

Try letting the glow plugs go for 35 seconds, turn the key to off, turn it back on, then let it go for another 35 seconds. Then start it up. The glow plug system keeps heating even after the light goes off. My timer stops at 36 seconds.

Have you checked your glow plugs to see if they are all working?

What engine oil are you using? 15W40 is only good down to +23F. Synthetic 5W30 or 5W40 (rated for diesel of course) will make your life a lot easier.

I have non-synthetic 15W40 in mine right now. My glow plugs are new and the glow system is working properly. My car started right up after one 35 second cycle, chugged and grumped a bit, and then was fine after 30 seconds or so. It was 18F that morning. After next week I will be switching to synthetic 5Wsomething oil. That was without being plugged in.

-Jim
Somewhere along the line in it's previous life, it must have had an updated relay put into it. Mine stays on for 35 seconds, regardless of when/if you start it. I've confirmed this watching the voltmeter I have plugged into the cigar lighter. Batt is pulled down from 12.6 to 10.8, as soon as it starts they keep the alternator pulled down to 12, then as soon as they cut out voltage jumps up to 13.8.

Checked the GP's at the relay connector, all reading 0.6 ohms.

It runs fine until the plugs cut off, then starts missing and bucking. Probably because I've got a good case of injector nailing, spray pattern on one or more injectors isn't good enough to light off until it warms up. When it's missing, the little man with the ball peen hammer goes away. As soon as it stops missing, he starts beating with that hammer again.

After being plugged in all night and warm, fires right up with no miss or smoke.

Have a set of Bosio nozzles in hand from DG (just arrived today) and a maintenance appointment at the MB dealer in Hickory for Tuesday. Given the unknown history of the beast, figured it might be a good idea to do a major maintenance at least once, and while they're at it make the little man with the hammer go away.

Shell 15W40 in it right now, already have 8 quarts of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W40 and a new filter in hand. Just debating whether or not to do it myself this weekend, or let the service tech do it on Tuesday.

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville, NC
'87 300D 212K miles
'87 300D 151K miles - R.I.P. 12/08
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD 67K miles
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club