Thread: bmw diesel?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Loose Cannon - No Balls

Good point xman. My M-Bs only have 1/4million miles, so the suspensions aren't sloppy yet, don't need rebuilding. I've spent plenty of time in/under BMWs, mine and friends, from 3.0Csi to 740Il, know how to swing a wrench. Never had a 123 body, was driving a 3.0Csi and quattros back then. Considered an '85 300Td, but didn't care for the handling of the 123. Waited, and bought a 300TE 4matic in '92 instead (much better handling). Drove the 535 wagon, too noisy and harsh, lacked refinement. Friend of mine's car, he loved it (his previous car was a 300ZX).

Simple is certainly easier to fix, but the main reason for the success of the MacPherson Strut (I believe that MacPherson worked for GM) is the low cost, not the performance. Unfortunately it is an inferior suspension in performance and durability to a double-a-arm or more complex suspension, lacks flexibility in design, but the almighty dollar makes most of those decisions in all but the most exotic vehicles these days.

Struts did come on the 201, which pre-date the 524Td.

Sorry to compare the '85 BMW to the 124, guess comparing it to the '70s designed body is more appropriate, my bad. Silly me for liking Mercedes diesels and posting it on the Mercedes Diesel forum. Still, the 190Dt and especially the 603-powered 300Dt kicked butt, unless we want to eliminate them from your comparison. You didn't specify 123 or other when you originally claimed the 524Td's superiority over diesel Mercedes.

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff