View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 12:30 PM
I told you so!

Repacking the wheel bearings includes a few tricky steps. If not done properly, the bearings will have a short life.

Firstly, the grease seal must be replaced. It's nearly impossible to remove it without destroying it. Plus it's considered a wear item.

Any good wheel bearing grease (NLGI 2, with EP additive, for elevated temperature service) should work fine for the bearings. Valvoline synthetic, Mobil 1 synthetic are two good choices. I'm sure there are others. I find the best grease is Mobil Infinitec 152. This is a synthetic grease specifically made for wheel bearings, cheaper then Mobil 1, yet outperforms Mobil 1. The only problem is that I haven't yet seen it sold over-the-counter. Don't over-grease the bearings.

The most important part of wheel bearing service is proper seating and setting the preload. Seating is done by installing the bearing and wrenching down on the center nut while turning the wheel/rotor until the wheel becomes hard to turn. Then back off the center nut and set the preload, ideally with a dial gage.

Please search for more detail on greasing and setting preload. There's been much written on this subject.