View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 AM
General Purpose Geek

Leaky Wire Wheels?

I had mixed feelings about these when I got the car, but today I go to put it into the garage and I had a flat. I don't see anything in the tire. The chrome is very good on these 14" wheels, so I don't think that this is the infamous peeling chrome on the bead surface problem. Maybe it's a valve leak, but I doubt it because this passed the spit test. So, this seems to leave the spokes. Has this happened to anyone? This brand is supposed to be immune to this problem (Dayton) but after what could be 20 years, who knows. I Googled this subject and came up with "put in a tube" (bad idea, IMHO) to take the tire off and seal around each spoke with silicone (this seemed to have mixed results for people). I really don't like this kind of surprise at all; is this something you just "live with" when you have wire wheels or can they be fixed in a more - or -less permanent manner fairly inexpensively? I'm not really interested in putting a lot of dough in these because I have 5 spare 15-holers and I figure I can get these wheels (which I like) on the road, powder coated and with Kumho's from Tire Rack, for a total of $500 or so.
Daily Driver Project

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm