View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 11:47 AM
self MB Diesel student

Help! 93 300D engine issue

Hello all,

Need some solid answers to a relly nasty issue. My wifes DIESEL 300D (W124) when started this morning only operated on 3 possibly 4 cylinders out of 5. Very rough shaking and some loud clonking, could not ascertain if bottom end or top end for sure. With my experience of gas car engines it sounded like mains or rod bearings, but not having anything to loose I gently raised the trottle allowing more fuel mixture to enter and to my surprise the noise begin to subdue and the 1/2 missing cylinders begin to fire. I could hear some somewhat intermittent tapet tapping louder then normal but nothing major. After shutting it off to do some looking and hair scratching to logically think this through, restarted it and it ran fine as alway's.
This is the first time it has ever doen this.

Additional data: Around injectors 1 and 2 (closer to front of engine) have been leaking (or at least it appears to be coming from that area) diesel, I can only observe it on the side of the head and gestimate to be coming from that immeidate area. It also has been idling rougher over th past month, but I was waiting for a little warmer weather to pull the injectors and rebuild them to eliminate the leaks.

Thanks for any mechanical info you can provide to help me better diagnose this before something happens.

Adriano

83 300SD 500,300 miles (Well seasoned work horse AKA "Put Put")
93 300D 245,000 miles (Moms Baby AKA "Sweat Pea")
87 300D 185,000 miles (Life giver, aka parts car for my 300SD)